Monday, January 25, 2010

City Night


I wanted to take a walk but it was pouring outside. I was going crazy with restlessness. I felt like pacing madly around the room, but Lizzie was deep in cyberworld and I didn't want to distract her.

Finally the rain let up a bit. Jess remembered she had a Starbucks card, so we decided to walk down to Craig Street for coffee. With sweatshirts and boots it turned out to be perfect temperature outside, with the rain a nice refresher.

Did I say walk down? We ran, we skipped, we jumped. We did stop at Starbucks for a while to share a frappe, but the caffeine only geared us up more. So instead of heading back we kept going, passing the library in a flash, ending up all the way down at the Pitt campus before we knew it. U-turn and heading back through the garden, city all around. Dark, wet streets and dark, deep sky, but the air illuminated by city lights. Massive multi-leveled buildings towering and close, and cars rushing past, but still trees and open streets, people here and there but not crushing. Brisk, but not chilly; sprinkled but not soaked; alternating speed and motion.

Cities soothe and exhilarate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment